I Liceum Ogólnokształcące
im. Książąt Pomorskich
84-230 Rumia, ul. Starowiejska 4
The building of our school on Starowiejska Street, a bit overwhelmed by
newer blocks of flats, has grown strongly into the centre of Rumia. For
most citizens it has been here “for ever”, although some of them got
used to calling it “the five”.
This imposing edifice appeared soon after the historical event, which
was the obtaining the city rights by Rumia (for the record: Rumia became
a city on 7th Oct 1954).
Just at the beginning of 1956 the first school bell went off in this
building. Hovewer, as the institution, this high school is five years
older than the city and for the first students is assiociated with the
building of the present primary school nr 4, which had much poorer
appearance, especially that time.
Let’s reverse a few year more to the past. At the ocupation time this
primary school building was used for productive reasons of Luftwaffe.
However, after the hostilities in 1945 it appeared, that apart from a
huge devastation of the insides, that was the only building appropriate
for teaching. And so, aside, among the Janowo fields and a barren
landscape, having a corn warehouse as the only neighbour, children at
the school age, gathered there from Rumia, Zagórze and Janowo. Those
from Biała Rzeka (The White River) were directed to Reda.
In the city of 10.000 citizens there was a school with more than 1000
students, and in clasrooms there were crowded about 50 to 60 people.
After school renovations in Zagórze and the rebuilding of the school in
Stara Rumia (The Old Rumia), in Janowo you could find more space and in
a school year of 1948 to 1949 a tiny 18-student class was made. It was
the eighth higher level programme with English and French. But, after
graduation, students had to search for the opportunity to continue their
education in different secondary schools. Next year the new class was
made with 39 students and that was the beginning of our high school.
That time the headmasters and the teachers often changed. Nevertheless,
there were some teachers who remained in the first students’ memory,
such as Olga Śliwa (Polish), Janina Sierzputowska (Drawing, Polish),
Zofia Ostrowska (English), Anna Gasińska (Russian), Stefan Kilichowski (History),
Krystyna Haupianka ( Geography), Aleksandra Drozdowska (Chemistry), the
priest Feliks Cieplik (Religion).
Apart from the harsh political situation, English was still taught and
from time to time Latin. Later Religion lessons were moved to the church.
There also were problems with Phisical Education bacause of lack of
space for games and gymnastic. Despite of these inconveniences the chess
matches were played and the real boxing match was conducted among one of
the class and the rest of the school. They couldn’t imagine that school
without their large choire, various student organisations or different
the new building
Since 1954 on Starowiejska Street the new building had been built.
Initially the city authority hesitated to create a new primary school or
a high school so eventually there were both at the same building.
In 1961 there were new classes made because of the small distance to the
railway station and more train connections with other cities such as
Gdynia or Wejherowo.
Teaching programmes, exam rules, note names and subjects have been
changing lately. Russian has been supplanted by German, Technical
subjects by Information Technology. The number of students has dubbled,
and the number of graduates has grown. Most young people live in Rumia,
the city is developing so we don’t complain on lack of students.
Almost 2400 people have graduated from our high school for the past 50
years. With a great joy and pride we accept the news of as well as the
professional or private successes of our former students. It’s like a